If you are looking for a hotel rewards credit card that can provide you with peace of mind and great opportunities to earn free stays, the Choice Privileges MasterCard from MBNA isn’t a bad option. It has no annual fee, and a competitive interest rate — especially for a rewards credit card. Plus, you can earn free stays at more than 1,500 Choice Hotel locations across North America, as well as Choice hotel locations in Europe, South America, Australasia, the Middle East and the Caribbean.
Earning Rewards with the Choice Privileges MasterCard
Amongst Canadian rewards credit cards, the Choice Privileges MasterCard stands out to some degree. Many rewards cards come with a flat-rate spend-to-reward ration, and many of them also have an annual fee. The Choice Privileges MasterCard, however, has no annual fee and a competitive rewards program. You can also earn rewards fairly quickly, as you can see:
- Up to 15 points for every $1 in eligible purchases at over 5,500 Choice Privileges locations in Canada, the U.S., Europe, the Middle East, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and Australasia2
- 2 points for every $1 spent on everyday eligible purchases‡
- 2,000 Bonus Points every year on your account anniversary‡
- Up to an additional 4,500 Bonus Points when you spend $30,000 in a calendar year‡
- Plus, get automatically upgraded to Elite Gold status, which gives you♦♦: The ability to book free nights 50 days in advance instead of 30 days and a 10% point bonus on every eligible stay
- Annual Fee:
- Purchase APR:
- Balance Transfer APR:
- Cash Advance APR:
All of these rewards mean that you can rack up the points fairly quickly, and earn stays easily. And, of course, the Choice Privileges MasterCard comes with all of the perks and protections you expect from MasterCard, including fraud liability protection, and enhanced Chip & PIN security.
This card is best for those who frequent Choice hotel properties. These properties include Comfort Inn, Clarion, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn, Cambria Suites, EconoLodge, Quality Inn, and a number of other properties. There are also a few luxury hotels in the Ascend Collection of properties. You have many hotels to choose from, and if you are a frequent traveler, your points can add up quickly. Also, for best effect, pay off your balance each month.
As far as Canadian rewards credit cards go, the Choice Privileges MasterCard is pretty decent. You earn points quickly, they are easy to use around the world, and the interest rate and lack of annual fee make it competitive when compared to similar cards.